Respiratory protective devices including particle filters.
This standard pertains to the particle filters used as components in unassisted respiratory protective devices.
EN 143 - RESPIRATORY PROTECTIVE DEVICES - PARTICLE FILTERS
The standard describes the laboratory tests used to assess the filters' compliance with the standard's requirements and the filters' suitability for use with other respiratory protective devices. Filtering face pieces and filters used in escape apparatuses are excluded from the scope of this standard.
Based on their efficiency, particle filters are divided into three categories:
• P1 – low filtration, intended for use against solid particles only
• P2 – medium filtration, subdivided according to the filters' capacity to remove both solid and liquid particles or solid particles only
• P3 – high filtration, subdivided according to the filters' capacity to remove both solid and liquid particles or solid particles only
• P + particle category
• R (= reusable), or NR (= not reusable /single shift)
• CE marking with approval number of the notified body
• Colour code: white
• whether the filter is intended for use in a multi-filter device
• indication (+ expired hourglass symbol) of filter's expiration date, formatted as "yyyy/mm"